Monday, March 8, 2010

the elusive phone call

To work at a temp agency, I swear you have to be up between the hours of 7-9 am, fully dressed and waiting by the phone, because if you aren't, someone else sure will be.

This morning, as I was getting ready to head out to do some contract work, Greg knocked on the door and told me that one of my temp agencies had just called and had a job available just for today. Funnily enough, the position was to help them with front desk work at their offices. I guess it makes sense they would hire themselves as a temp agency. In fact, I would be worried if they went anywhere else.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to take it since I was on my way out anyway, but I called them back anyway to be polite. Less than five minutes had gone by since the call, but when I reached them, the rep told me that they already had someone coming in in 20 minutes.

DAMN! For some reason it really irritated me even though I couldn't have done it anyway. I had been mentally preparing myself to dump them only to have them do it first and replace me with someone who is obviously superior since they live closer.

But, just for the record, when I called them later that afternoon, whoever they got accidentally transferred me to accounting, so HA. I take my bitter little victories where I can get them.

In other news, I think I'm going to strap my phone to myself and start sleeping in pinstriped pants and high heels.

2 comments:

  1. HA! You really are a very funny writer. I'm sorry that you are still searching for a job but I'm glad you are blogging. And let's be job search sisters together! It sucks. I'm getting really tired of going on interviews and not getting hired. This constant rejection reminds me of all the bad dates I went on when I was first in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm trying to blog about it, we'll see how it goes...:) And yes, I find myself going "applied to another one I won't get". Cynicism strikes again!

    ReplyDelete