Saturday, March 6, 2010

First post- first rejection letter

Looking for work sucks. It sucks for everyone, but it's always pretty much sucked for me since I graduated at a time when the economy collapsed. 5 years later and I've had many different jobs, but the ones I wanted I got laid off from, or was told I could not be hired full time, no matter how much they loved me. The others may have paid the bills (or in some cases not even that) but were ultimately not what I wanted to do, which leaves me at a loss in a crumby economy.

Unemployed yet again and having been an intern in some capacity or another for the past 4 years or so (in four different fields: graphic design, marketing, theater and most recently, editorial ), I find myself once again in that beautiful and tragic state of limbo where I wake up at 11 am, and spend the day in my pajamas on craigslist and linkedin hoping to one day soon be able to have a career to call my own.

I've decided to do what everyone else on the planet now does when they want to complain about something and feel productive at the same time: start a blog. And here I am. I'm going to document the process, successes and inevitable failures of my search for elusive work.

Since it's my first post, I thought I would start with my first rejection letter. It's probably a healthy thing to celebrate failures as well as victories, or at least not incredibly unhealthy.

Hello Miriam,

Thank you for your interest in our Junior Editor position.

We are fortunate to have many qualified candidates apply with us. We have reviewed the qualifications of each candidate and after careful consideration, we have determined that the credentials of other candidates may better fit our needs at this time.

Please accept our best wishes and thank you for your interest in working with our team.

Regards,

Megan

The best part about this is that I waited around for two weeks after the interview without hearing a peep from them, only to send an email inquiry and receive this no less than 2 minutes later. Ah well, as my friend Matthew pointed out, this particular company is being sued anyway, so maybe it worked out for the best.

Onwards!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you've started a blog! that's so 2005 of you. But me too. And lemme tell you, I've had four potential employers mention my blog and one company hired me (it's a consulting gig but it's a start) who read my blog cover to cover! DUDE, it's a good thing blogging in this economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I've had a livejournal for ten years now, but it's private (tho I think you're on it?)

    and that's cool!

    It's why I'm not mentioning names of specific companies. HA!

    ReplyDelete