Monday, March 15, 2010

The top ten time-wasters for admins

If you too have found yourself at a job where you pretty much get paid to answer 15 phone calls a day, then maybe you're already all-too-familiar with the below ways to pass the time. Aside from the givens of checking your facebook and email a zillion times a day.

1. participating in office practical jokes
Let people know that you are open and available to assisting in office practical jokes. The people at this particular office enjoy having me page colleagues over the PA system that they see standing outside their glass offices, and then giggle when they get up to reception and realize it was a joke. This is particularly effective if someone wants to hide something on their desk.

2. Responding to emails in your inbox that you put off for weeks
In my case, it's all the starred gmails I mentally replied to in my head, but have yet to actually type

3. Stalking your exes on google
This is the perfect opportunity find out juicy (or not so juicy) information, while secretly hoping that they too are working a boring desk job, or at least still in another state. (he is)

4. Applying for other jobs
I've applied to four jobs today, because the motivation for doing so when picturing an existence surfing the internet all day is an amazing kick in the butt.

5. This jaunty bouncing balls game on yahoo
I have wasted hours of my life getting up to level four. HOURS I TELL YOU.

6. Actually working
Believe it or not, I wish more people would call or come in so I could actually do what I am being paid to. Of course now that I've said that, I bet tomorrow will be like a "be careful what you wish for" kind of day.

7. Watching tea brew
This one is about as exciting as it sounds and usually peaks my interest around 4 pm when my eyes start crossing and I need a physical object to look at.

8. Betting with yourself on what time the FedEx guy will show up
Sometimes it's 3:35. But then other times, it's closer to 3:38.

9. Deciding to go to the gym after work, or go home and watch shirtless David Duchovny in Californication, conveniently located in my instant netflix queue.
This one takes pretty much all day, so it's best to start early.

10. The celebrity death list on wikipedia
Type "celebrity deaths" into the wiki search bar, and enjoy a morbid catalogued list of any deceased person who has ever been listed on wikipedia, including race horses. A list of people who are worse off than you!

No comments:

Post a Comment