Thursday, March 11, 2010

I've gotta get out of this place

My clingy relationship to my phone paid off, and I was offered a two week assignment as a receptionist at a nice, big, creative agency. They're a great company full of nice people, a fantabulous view of the bay and I've worked with them before, last year, so it's good to be back. Also, the name of their company rhymes with "Endor", which makes it get bonus points because I can pretend I'm running a Star Wars planet.

The only downside is that I get paid to read my book all day (and the internet) and take a couple of phone calls. A lot of people would say that's an upside, and it does beat filing or telemarketing, but for me it's a bit boring. I feel like I've reached the end of the internet and it's only on day 2 of my two week assignment. At least people really don't care what I do here, which is a plus. Some jobs I have had, they forbid internet usage, books, and any kind of entertainment, forcing you to just stare into space and hope that someone calls. And then hope that someone calls telling you something is on fire just to add some excitement to your day.

I think it was this realization that finally motivated me to actually apply for more jobs. The thought of sitting around behind a desk every day for a couple weeks knowing that I'm gopher level support staff to a top notch creative firm made me think that I needed to know I had made some kind of real effort to get myself out of this situation.

So the night I got the assignment I spent about 4 hrs writing cover letters and applying to positions I really had an interest in. It's the least I can do for right now. Well, I guess the least I can do is stare at that palm tree.

It's tall.

1 comment:

  1. I had a job once where I would work 4 hours and then goof off on the internet for 4 hours. It's actually a lot harder than it seems. I totally know what you mean by the end of the internet. HA! You funny cuz. I know I keep saying that but you are. I almost am starting to see a book in this blog. Something about the recession, something about desolation and despair, something about funny. YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete